Thursday, October 14, 2010

Busy, busy October

Hope you are all enjoying this rather dreary Thursday in October.  If I had posted yesterday, I could have said "this beautiful Wednesday in October."  I so love this time of year.  Even dreary days still have color.  This time of year also makes me hungry for some comfort food.  Well the other day I made a wonderful ham loaf and parmesan scalloped potatoes.  Oh my, how good it wasThe ham loaf recipe is out of a Southern Living cookbook, and it is amazing. I will post the recipe at the end of today's blog.  Oh, they look so good.

It has been a busy October.  Lots of that end-of-summer work to get down, and I have two grandsons who play midget football, one on JV and the other varsity.  That has kept me busy every Saturday since September.  But I love football, and I love to watch them play. Both won their playoff games.  So next Saturday they will each play in a championship game

It's been busy here at We Three, which is a good thing but doesn't leave much time for designing or hooking.  My sister is coming today and we are going to work on a new design.  I'll keep you posted. 

We'll talk soon,
Lonna

Supreme Ham Loaf

1 pound ground cooked ham
1 pound ground fresh pork
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp seasoned pepper (I use McCormick's Pepper Medley)
1 cup cracker crumbs
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce (I use Smuckers Cherry Jam/Jelly)

Combine first 7 ingredients; mix well.Shape mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf and place in a lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2" baking dish.

Combine sugar, mustard and vinegar; mix well and spoon half over ham loaf.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes basting twice with remaining sugar mixture.  Top loaf with cranberry sauce and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Yield:  8 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment